September 1. 2021
From the Late Latin Arthritis (pain in the joints) it is defined in the Webster dictionary as the “inflammation of joints due to infectious, metabolic, or constitutional causes”.
According to the CDC, there are 100 conditions recognized as one form or another of this painful and sometimes incapacitating affliction that targets the joints, their tissues, and connective tissues. Arthritis can start slowly or appear suddenly and affect other organs; it characteristically worsens with age, reducing the range of motion of the affected joints.
Although specific symptoms vary depending on the form of arthritis, they could include one or more of the following: Joint pain, inflammation, redness, swelling, tenderness and stiffness,
Some of the many types of arthritis include:
Osteoarthritis ∙ rheumatoid arthritis ∙ ankylosing spondylitis ∙ gout ∙ juvenile arthritis ∙ psoriatic arthritis ∙ reactive arthritis ∙ lupus ∙ Juvenile idiopathic arthritis ∙ juvenile idiopathic arthritis ∙ septic arthritis ∙ thumb arthritis ∙ fibromyalgia.
Modern medications and surgery can treat arthritis in some cases. Exercise, hot and cold therapies, relaxation exercises, splints and braces as well as assisting devices and weight loss are recommended in some cases.
What to do:
- Birch leaves tea: I cup up to three times a day. Please refer to our “How To” section for the perfect cup of tea.
- Honey and cinnamon: Mix together two tablespoons of honey with one teaspoon of cinnamon. Enjoy this mixture throughout the day.
- Burdock poultice: Take a fresh leaf and steam to soften it. Apply it as hot as you can take it, without burning yourself, and leave it on the affected area until it cools down. Repeat as many times as necessary.
- If you do not have access to the fresh herb, you can use two tablespoons of dry leaves soaked in water and heated in the microwave for one minute.
What to do, Cont.:
- Comfrey infused oil. Please refer to our “How To” section.
- Comfrey ointment: Refer to our “How To” section, using 10 0unces of comfrey-infused oil and one ounce of beeswax.
- Dandelion tincture: Please refer to our “How To” section for instructions on how to make the tincture. Take half a spoon twice a day.
- Dandelion flower-infused oil: Please refer to our “How To” section and follow instructions on how to make the infused oil.
- Take handful of whole oats in a litter of water and let it boil for 20 minutes. With a small towel, apply as hot as you can without burning your skin. Repeat the process. From La farmacia natural de la abuela by Ana Fernández Magdalena
- A balanced diet can help you control inflammation by avoiding refined, processed foods and inflammatory animal derived foods.
- Fruits high in antioxidants, with anti-inflammatory properties are recommended.
- Improving sleep hygiene is a must, poor sleep habits exacerbate arthritis pain and fatigue. Create a sleep routine that will allow you to fall asleep and stay asleep. Caffeine, strenuous exercise, unrestricted screen time before going to bed should be avoided.
- Exercises such as walking, swimming, and cycling have been found beneficial.
- The following foods are recommended: Fish ∙ nuts and seeds ∙ fruits and vegetables ∙ beans ∙ olive oil ∙ whole grains
- Due to the alkaloids Solanine and capsaicin, if you have arthritis, avoid the nightshade veggies, fruits and leaves below: Eggplant ∙ Eggplant ∙ Tomatoes ∙ Tomatillo ∙ Potatoes ∙ Goji Berries ∙ Pimentos ∙ Peppers ∙ Tobacco
Share your results with us on Instagram
Photography by: Towfiqu Barbhuiya, Nico Macaspac, Sasun Bughdarian, and Yoghanda Oils @ Unsplash